St. Monica Green Team
Fifth Anniversary of Laudato Si'
May 17 marks the fifth anniversary of Laudato Si: On Care for our Common Home, the landmark encyclical authored by Pope Francis on the environment. Read the encyclical here!
Pope Francis has invited Catholics to participate in Laudato Si' Week, a nine-day global campaign taking place May 16-24, 2020. Click here to sign up to receive daily reflections with ways to pray, learn, and act to care for God’s creation.
Rethinking Our Relationship with Food for a Healthier Planet
St. Monica Green Team offers some thoughts on how we can rethink our relationship with food.
How can we make choices around food that are not just healthier, but responsible/sustainable for the planet? #OurCommonHome
Here are five areas to consider:
- Support local and smaller farmers thru CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture) or farm shares.
- Plant fruits and vegetables in your yard, on your balconies, or at local community garden. (Think tomatoes or a windowsill herb garden.)
*Read more here: https://www.localharvest.org/csa/
- Buy locally at famers markets and food co-ops.
- Eat more in season fruit and vegetables that are less likely to be transported over long distances.
- Move towards a more Plant Forward Diet- one meatless meal per day saves 133 gallons of water.
- Meatless Mondays, or some simple replacements:
-Beans instead of beef
-Tofu instead of eggs
-Avocado instead of butter
*Read more here: http://cok.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/MM-Environment-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Choose fresh produce over frozen or canned foods that require more energy to produce and package.
- Buy less processed and packaged foods.
- Consume your leftovers
- Compost what you can’t use. Options include composting, having a worm bin, or using Santa Monica’s green bins – which now accept all food waste, including bones and soiled pizza boxes.
*Read more here: https://www.smgov.net/Departments/PublicWorks/ContentRecycling.aspx?id=16222
Join the St. Monica Green Team!
Learn about our call to protect the environment, and how to put our faith into action right here at St. Monica.
Contact us at